Sunday, November 23, 2008

What Christmas Means to Me.

My family has always lived in 3 states. I grew up in IL, my dad's side lives in MI and my mom's side lives in MN. Christmas has always meant getting together with these people whom I rarely saw. It has always been together time. It has meant hugs and visiting and food. Sometimes singing, sometimes shopping, sometimes Christmas eve church services.

I believe the tradition of looking for Santa Claus started when we lived in Schiller Park, IL. My aunt would take my sister and I outside to look for Rudolph's red nose. I don't remember how long that went on for, but it started a new when my son was young. My aunt took him outside and we quickly put presents out under the tree. After my daughter was born and became part of the tradition, the kids said we should try and video tape Santa coming. We had some pretty convincing shots (at the time).

When I was a teenager, I saw a real cute knicker outfit at the store. I bought it, wrapped it and put it under the tree labeled for me from my secret admirer. That tradition has continued even as of last year : )

Last year's Christmas was the first in my new home and finally divorced. My son was home from bootcamp which made it even more special. It seemed like we could start some new traditions.

But this year Christmas is going to be different. This will be the first Christmas eve without my son. In addition to that, my mother is going in for knee replacement surgery on the 18th of December and will be recuperating at the nursing home over Christmas. She asked me what our plans for Christmas were. I told her that we would be celebrating at the nursing home then.

So I am anxious to decorate my house and make it quite festive. I am hoping to host our faculty get together this year and get this house filled up with people. Because that is what Christmas really means to me. The coming together of friends and family to celebrate having each other in our lives.

No comments: