Thursday, September 4, 2008

Life and Death

I had a difficult phone call to make this afternoon. I had to call my daughter and tell her the little kitty had died. When we first saw it, I was unsure it would be able to survive. But then yesterday with food in her belly and all warmed up, she was full of spunk and following us around and meowing lots. She looked like she was doing well. But then she stopped eating well. She didn't meow at night at all and I was a little bit concerned. When I took her out of her crate this morning, I knew she wasn't doing well at all. I forced some formula on her. I thought maybe there might be a chance but warned Natalie the situation did not look good. I told her not to be surprised if the worst happened. I took kitty to school with me and tried to get more formula down her. She just was not swallowing it. I knew then it was just a matter of time. I think she had passed on by noon. By the time I brought her home for Natalie to see, rigormortis had set in. I just buried her in the garden.

Natalie asked if she had killed the kitty. I told her no, that very few bottle fed kitties make it. They are fragile. I told her that the kitty probably missed her mother too much. She asked about taking one of the other abandoned kitties her and her friend had found (there were 3 total). I said I would rather get an older kitty that had been properly weaned from its momma. I said the Humane Society had lots to choose from. So we'll see what happens from here. I've never had a cat before. We would have to raise it to be a "go-go" kitty like our dog that we take just about every place with us. I dunno.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am truly sorry for you and for Natalie. I know that you both tried hard to keep the kitty alive. I had been wondering what you would do with this newborn today......

I say that an older one sounds like a good idea. My mom and dad told me that there are lots of beauties with soft fur and big eyes at Petsmart just waiting to be held and cuddled.

With love,
Hunter Bunter Good Boy