Monday, September 15, 2008

Must Be a Full Moon

Today was a different day at school. I had my physical science classes compete in the metric olympics. We had the paper plate discus, the paper straw javelin, the cotton ball shot put, the right handed Knex grab, the sponge squeeze and the big foot contest. All of the distances and amounts of these competitions were to be measured in metric units.
When the events were done, I handed out "gold medals" which were made of paper and cardboard and colorfully colored. I hung each with a string and presented the winner their medal "formally".
Now these are not elementary students. The grade range is 7-12. I thought the students might have thought the medals were silly and quickly put them in the garbage. I was amazed that not only were those medals still around the winners' necks but other students were asking when their class was going to do something to earn one of those medals!

The "full moon" part of the day was we had a fight at one end of the building and a kid cut himself on an air vent trying to get a hacky sack out of it. The fight ended up being between 2 boys and a girl (not over the girl). It will be interesting to see if they are all still in school tomorrow. I hope not.

No comments: